GROUP 2 winner Charlie Boy made an emphatic return to the winners’ enclosure at Ipswich on Saturday as the now seven-year-old proved he’s lost none of his appetite for racing when surging from last to first in the City Of Ipswich Spring Sprinters Cup Open Handicap over 1350m.
Since being under the care of Gollan at his Brisbane stable Charlie Boy had returned two runner-up performances from four runs, but overturned the form against several of his rivals at Ipswich to take a first victory since taking the Group 3 Liverpool City Cup in February last year.
After settling in the final pair Charlie Boy took advantage of the strong early pace to pounce over the top of the field and beat stablemate Frespanol by a length under Tiffani Brooker.
The win takes the son of Myboycharlie’s total prizemoney earnings to just shy of $900,000.
Photo: Trackside Photography
“I really do believe we have a very strong chance”
That was Triple Crown director Michael Ward’s assessment as he discussed Redzel’s quest for glory in the $10,000,000 feature race alongside slot holder James Harron on Sky Racing’s Trek To The Everest programme.
“It’s unbelievable. You have to pinch yourself,” added Ward. “We’re talking about a horse with Redzel who we’ve been fortunate to have something to do with and has been very successful in amassing $1.4 Million in prize-money, but, three weeks away, that could become $7.2 Million.”
James Harron likewise expressed his delight at being able to secure the son of Snitzel for the richest race on turf: “We’ve been watching him really closely,” said Harron. “He’s a horse we have huge respect for and has been improving the whole time.
“We have a great connection with the stable and knowing how Peter and Paul train their horses, to see him come out like he did first up this preparation was absolutely outstanding. You know there’s improvement there and they’re on the perfect path. We’re delighted to be involved with him.”
Redzel opened has shortened into a $6 price after winning the Group 2 The Shorts on Saturday, a race which has been dubbed a “mini-Everest” with Redzel defeating three other slot holders, including favourite Chautauqua, English and Fell Swoop.
A full replay from Tuesday’s episode can be watched by clicking here. The feature begins 16 minutes 30 seconds into the programme.
By Ray Hickson
Triple Crown director Chris Ward says securing a slot in the Everest with star sprinter Redzel is a ‘’dream come true’’ for everyone associated with the horse.
Redzel was announced on Tuesday night as the sixth confirmed starter in the world’s richest race on turf, the $10m The Everest (1200m) at Randwick on October 14, after a deal was struck with slot holder James Harron.
Ward said Triple Crown negotiated with four slot holders in the past week before settling on a deal with Harron that will see Redzel contest Saturday’s Group 2 The Shorts (1100m) at Randwick then go straight into The Everest.
“That was at the forefront of negotiations with the various slot holders,’’ Ward said.
“We wanted to give him that preparation, if you go back through his form he’s been lethal off a four week break.
“Getting a slot now gives is that certainty so we can take that path and have a red hot crack at it.’’
More than 20 people share in the ownership of Redzel and it’s an eclectic bunch including police officers, taxi drivers, school teachers, electrician, doctor, and even ex-NSW Sheffield Shield cricket winning coach John Medland.
Pandemonium broke out trackside when Redzel won the $150,000 Concorde so just imagine what could happen if he claims the $5.8 million first prize.
“They are an excited bunch, they certainly get involved and make the most of it,’’ Ward said.
“It really is a dream come true. They’ll certainly know we’re there and the beauty of Redzel is he’ll give us something to cheer about.’’
Redzel joins Chautauqua, English, Fell Swoop, Houtzen and She Will Reign in the Everest field and more confirmations are expected after this weekend’s racing.
Ward said Redzel, a $120,000 yearling purchase, has really emerged as a serious sprinter in 2017 under the care of Peter and Paul Snowden and is rapt that Triple Crown is a part of the inaugural Everest running.
“When Peter V’landys first announced the Everest race and concept I remember thinking ‘gee we’ve got to be a part of this’ and thinking of the horses we had,’’ he said.
“I earmarked Redzel as a potential candidate and it was just down to hoping he went in the right direction.
“It’s a completely new concept and one that’s captured everyone’s imagination and it’s amazing how quickly things can change.
“This game is known for having its twists and turns and this is an exciting one.
“The last 12 months he’s just got better and better. Peter and Paul told us early in the prep he was about 40-50kg bigger and stronger and they’d never seen him looking better.’’
Redzel has steadily climbed the sprinting ranks this year with close seconds to English and Russian Revolution in the Sydney autumn before winning the Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes and his first Group 1 in the Doomben 10,000.
The five-year-old really announced himself as an Everest contender with his slick first-up win in the Concorde Stakes (1000m) at Randwick on September 2.
His performance in The Shorts this weekend could see him press Chautauqua for favouritism but Ward said it’s the result on October 14 that matters.
“It’s going to be a very interesting race with the likes of Chautauqua, English and Fell Swoop,’’ he said.
“Everyone will be going in there keen to win it but at the end of the day the grand final is the Everest and everyone has an eye on that.”
TRIPLE CROWN’S Group 1-winning sprinter Redzel is among a shortlist of five horses that will be considered for the Australian Turf Club’s slot in the first running of the $10,000,000 The Everest on October 14, after ATC CEO Darren Pearce made the announcement this morning to Andrew Bensley’s Racing HQ program.
The flying son of Snitzel was hugely impressive in taking the Group 3 Concorde Stakes at Royal Randwick on Saturday, giving weight and a two length beating to the field, a performance which has attracted the attention of the ATC during their selection process.
This list of five was narrowed down from a total of 24 applications for the slot, and Darren Pearce said negotiations will continue with all five of these horses over the coming weeks.
“It’s been a really great process for ATC we opened up interest to trainers both here and overseas we were delighted to have 24 horses apply for the slot,” he said. “Yesterday we had an ATC board meeting to reduce that number down to five.
“Those five horses are Brave Smash, Clearly innocent, Global Glamour, Le Romain and Redzel.
“We wanted to personally thank all those who applied. We were honoured to receive those applications.
“The final list shuffled around as we worked through the form and now we have a more difficult task in reducing that list of five down to one.
“Negotiations will be ongoing with those five over the next weeks and they all bring together different form lines.”
On Redzel Pearce added that the five-year-old is getting better with every run, and the board were impressed by his victory in Saturday’s Concorde Stakes.
“Redzel is going from strength from strength,” he added. “He won the Doomben 10,000 and it was a great win here on Saturday.
“They’re all tough, proven gallopers and we’ll be watching them closely. We will work with all the connections over the coming days to work through their interests and talk through their program.
“It will be a balance for the ATC to get the right horse in the race. We want to get the best promotional arrangement that will shout out for The Everest.”
Photo: Bradley Photographers
REDZEL laid down an emphatic claim for a slot in the $10,000,000 The Everest as he gave the field weight and a resounding beating in the Group 3 Concorde Stakes at Randwick on Saturday.
Although just a field of four lined up for the race, Redzel had to see off the attentions of Group 1 runner-up Spieth, and the five-year-old always had his rivals at an arm’s reach, going on to win by two lengths with an all-the-way success in a blisteringly quick time of 56.23 seconds, coming home in a 32.91-second 600m.
Redzel was conceding 3kg to Spieth, however the son of Snitzel proved too strong, leading to claims an Everest slot could be coming the way of the front-running sprinter, with just six weeks to go until the lucrative race on October 14.
— Sky Racing (@SkyRacingAU) September 2, 2017
The Group 1 Doomben 10,000 winner was slashed to $11 for the race in the aftermath of his dominant win, and co-trainer Paul Snowden was bullish over Redzel not just earning a start in the race, but also putting up a strong display.
“I’ll tell you how to explain this horse — he is an each-way bet to nothing,’’ Snowden said of Redzel’s Everest chances.
“He will run you top three and have a fair, cracking chance to win it.’’
Of Saturday’s performance Snowden was thrilled with how Redzel had returned to the races.
“Redzel has come back in fine fettle. I’ve been quoted as saying early in the prep that this is his best preparation yet, the way he can idle when he gets to a cruising speed. We’ve all seen how he can sustain that over six furlongs (1200m).
“But it’s been all about an Everest preparation and he will go to the Moir Stakes next and then hopefully straight into The Everest.
“It’s four weeks to the Moir and no doubt he’s going to be mighty hard to beat there and hopefully we pick up a slot soon.”
Jockey Kerrin McEvoy, who was in fine form riding five winners on the day, echoed Snowden’s assertions, and predicted an Everest slot would be forthcoming.
“Peter and Paul said he’s fast, use that first furlong to get control of the race and just build it up from there. He’s arguably improved heading into this preparation,’’ McEvoy said. “He deserves a spot in the (Everest) field. Everything is pointing towards a great preparation.’’
REDZEL’s Spring campaign could be underway earlier than expected, with the five-year-old raring to go after his latest trial win on August 21, leading Peter and Paul Snowden to accept for the Group 3 Concorde Stakes over 1000m this weekend at Royal Randwick.
The initial target had been for the Shorts on September 16, however with Redzel pleasing in his work, the Concorde seemed the obvious return to unleash the son of Snitzel.
The Group 1 Doomben 10,000 winner has drawn barrier 6 as he faces five rivals on Saturday, and comes face to face with Group 1 runner-up Spieth, who returns after winning his trial at Warwick Farm on August 14.
Redzel was most recently seen coming across the line first in a star-studded trial at Royal Randwick nine days ago, beating stablemate Russian Revolution and Everest runner English over the 1045m trial.
Despite carrying a penalty for his Group 1 triumph, Peter Snowden is confident in Redzel’s ability to perform on Saturday: “The horse has been in work for quite some time and I was really impressed with his latest trial so he’s ready to go,” said Snowden.
“This gives that bit of extra time between races until the Moir, and then hopefully a run in The Everest but that will sort itself out through his performances.
“It’s a tough task on Saturday which he has to pass and we’ll just take it a race at a time, but there’s no doubt he’s ready to go on Saturday.”
Redzel was paraded at Snowden Racing’s Randwick stables to the team of Triple Crown owners on Saturday, along with 14 other horses in the Triple Crown team including some exciting two-year-olds vying to step out in the early trials.
OVER 100 owners and their friends and family turned out on a beautiful morning for an Open Day at Snowden Racing on Sunday, August 27.
The morning featured a parade of 15 Triple Crown horses currently in work at Snowden Racing, including three of our exciting new two-year-olds as well as Triple Crown’s third individual Group 1 winner, Redzel.
After announcing a major new partnership with Snowden Racing, Sydney City Lexus were on hand to add some extra horse power to the day with Triple Crown owners set for exclusive deals when purchasing Sydney Lexus cars.
Doomben 10,000 winner Redzel was the star of the show and he was the final horse to be paraded during the insightful morning where Peter Snowden spoke to owners about the horses and upcoming plans for each of them.
We are grateful to the Snowdens for all their work with our horses and for opening their gates for a fantastic morning. Below are some select photos of the day to enjoy.