- An outstanding colt by rising stallion star, EPAULETTE, from a ½ sister to 3-time Group 1 winner LUCKYGRAY (winner of over $2.6m in prizemoney).
- “This is an outstanding specimen. He looks an early running 2YO type by a stallion who is on fire.” – Chris Ward.
- With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to a flyer with his runners including South African Champion 2YO and Group 1 winner, SOQRAT, Australian stakes winners MERYL, KHULASSA, February 2019 black type winners COSSETOT and ROCK DOVE and, of course, Triple Crown’s Gosford Guineas hero, MILITARY ZONE.
- Selected by Triple Crown’s Chris & Michael Ward.
- To be trained by world renowned pair of Peter and Paul Snowden, trainers of Triple Crown’s 2017 ($10 million) and 2018 ($13 million) The Everest winner REDZEL and 2016 Golden Slipper winner CAPITALIST.
- Other highly credentialed Snowden trained runners include; REDZEL, CAPITALIST, EPAULETTE, RUSSIAN REVOULTION, SHOOTING TO WIN, SEPOY, PRIDE OF DUBAI, HOT SNITZEL, FORENSICS, PEGGY JEAN, DENMAN, GUELPH, EARTHQUAKE, HELMET, SKILLED, PURPLE, MENTAL, COMPLACENT, & BENFICA
This colt was such a good buy … his sire is flying and he’s the first foal of a very well related mare!
Talk about an eye-catcher … from the moment we first inspected this colt he had our attention : terrific walk on him, great temperament and just has so much presence. He has that x-factor, which makes you believe he could be very special on the race track.
The sire is pretty hard to go past for us too – EPAULETTE has had an amazing 6 months with SOQRAT being named Champion 2YO of South Africa, while the EPAULETTE that Triple Crown purchased two years ago – MILITARY ZONE – won the Gosford Guineas in December and looks to be a potential Group 1 candidate. Add into that, EPAULETTE had 2 stakes winners in a week … actually make that 2 stakes winners in 3 days with COSSETOT and ROCK DOVE, in February.
This is also the first foal of BOSPHORUSCENCE who is a ½ sister to one of the best gallopers to come out of Western Australian in recent times: the 3-time Group 1 winner (9 Group wins overall) in LUCKYGRAY, while other close relations include the Group 2 winning 2YO DIEGO GARCIA, winner of 13 races.
What’s more, the 3 x 4 DANEHILL cross has been hugely successful as well.
With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to a flyer with half a dozen stakes winners, including Champion South African 2YO, SOQRAT, plus Group winning 2YOs MERYL and KHULAASA, the Triple Crown raced, MILITARY ZONE and February stakes winners COSSETOT and ROCK DOVE … not to mention several stakes performers in the northern hemisphere.
A three-quarter brother to HELMET and brilliant winner of the Group 1 Golden Rose, EPAULETTE was a stunning colt, from a golden era of Australian juveniles. His run to the Golden Slipper included victory in the valuable Black Opal Stakes before he claimed Group 1 victory as a three-year-old in the prestigious Golden Rose. A further Group 1 success followed in the Doomben 10,000, in a race where he defeated eight Group 1 winners as a three-year-old, including YOUR SONG and BUFFERING.
A consistent performer, EPAULETTE finished a neck runner-up behind PIERRO in the Group 2 Todman Stakes and placed behind ALL TOO HARD in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas over a mile. As a three-year- old he was runner-up to BLACK CAVIAR in the TJ Smith Stakes.
The best-performing son of Champion Sire COMMANDS (sire most recently of 2019 Group 1 CF Orr Stakes winner MANUEL), he showed a tremendous aptitude for racing and a tough resilience. From his first 14 starts he finished in the top three on nine occasions to earn $1.7 million in prizemoney during his career.
To match his exploits on the track, EPAULETTE has a stellar pedigree behind him, being the three-quarter brother to champion 2YO HELMET, and Group 2-winning filly PEARLS, while he is a half-brother to Group 1 winner and sire BULLBARS.
EPAULETTE’s ability, temperament and pedigree dictate that he is set to be a sterling success as a sire, and his first crop have been in high demand at the sales.
Peter Snowden engineered EPAULETTE’s superb racing career, and there is no better trainer to now look after his progeny!
What a tremendous family, with so much upside!
This colt is the first foal of BOSPHORUSCENCE, a ½ sister to 3-time Group 1 winner LUCKYGRAY and recent Hong Kong winner GREEN LUCK, while other close relations include Group 2 winning 2YO, DIEGO GARCIA, Sydney stakes winner, BLAZING SILKS, the dam of Melbourne black type winner and multiple stakes placed, DELIRIOUS and Group 1 placed LESTER THUNDERWING. This is also the family of Group 1 winners TOLERANCE, PTERYLAW, STRAWBERRY FAIR and successful stallion BEST WESTERN.
Importantly, you just need to look at the success rate of those up close and personal … LUCKYGRAY won 14 races, while DIEGO GARCIA won 13 races in 3 countries.
There is little question that LUCKYGRAY is one of the best racehorses to come out of the west in recent years: with Group 1 victories in the Railway Stakes – twice (and finished 2nd in another!) and the Kingston Town Classic (and 2nd another year), 6 other Group victories and a 4th in the Group 1 William Reid in Melbourne (behind BLACK CAVIAR).
All up, LUCKYGRAY won $2,694,025 in stakes and, notably, is a great grandson of DANEHILL … just like this colt!
What’s more, this colt boasts a 3 x 4 cross to DANEHILL as well.
Prizemoney opportunities like never before. . .
Please note that this outstanding colt is eligible and suited to target the following races:
- $8,000,000 INGLIS race series (already nominated)
- $3,500,000 Golden Slipper (already nominated)
- $2,000,000 Inglis Millennium (already nominated)
- $1,000,000 Golden Rose (already nominated)
In 2017/18, there was $733,445,379 distributed in prizemoney throughout Australia with stakes increasing by 92% in the last 10 years: the highest of any racing nation in the world. There are also 8 x 2YO races in Australia worth $1 million or greater, whilst the phenomenal $13m The Everest is the pinnacle for the older horses.
The colt is also BOBS (Breeder Owner Bonus Scheme), BOBS EXTRA and SUPER VOBIS eligible which means he will be running for millions of dollars in extra bonuses over and above any prizemoney. For example (using some standard race figures):
- Metro Race (Saturday) – Prizemoney = $125,000 plus BOBS up to $40,000. Total on offer = $165,000!
- Metro Race (Midweek) – Prizemoney = $50,000 plus BOBS up to $20,000. Total on offer = $70,000!
- Provincial Race – Prizemoney = $35,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $45,000!
- Country Race – Prizemoney = $22,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $32,000!