- A colt by one of the most promising sires in the country from a family renowned for producing precocious 2yo types which train on at 3 and 4!
- “Simply outstanding… this is a horse we had to have! His conformation is spot on. He is a big, strong colt who moves like a panther.” – Chris Ward.
- With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to an exceptional start with his runners including South African Champion 2YO & Group 1 winner, SOQRAT, Australian stakes winners MERYL, KHULASSA, COSSETOT, ROCK DOVE and, of course, Triple Crown’s stakes winner & potential Group 1 horse, MILITARY ZONE. EPAULETTE has produced more Group race winners than any other Australian first-season sire – EVER! At the same stage of their careers, he is ahead of everyone including REDOUTE’S CHOICE, SNITZEL, I AM INVINCIBLE, FASTNET ROCK, ZOUSTAR, BRAZEN BEAU etc.
- Out of a TESTA ROSSA (2yo Magic Millions & 6-time Group 1 winning speed machine) broodmare just like GLOBAL GLAMOUR, MARKY MARK, LE CHEF, ANAHEED, DISPOSITION, SNIPPETS LAND etc.
- Selected by Triple Crown’s Chris & Michael Ward. Selectors of REDZEL, HOT SNITZEL, PEGGY JEAN, DOTHRAKI, CHARLIE BOY, FLYING SNITZEL, CAVALRY ROSE, MOSS TRIP, MILITARY ZONE etc etc.
- To be trained by world renowned pair of Peter and Paul Snowden, trainers of Triple Crown’s 2017 ($10 million) and 2018 ($13 million) The Everest winner REDZEL, 2016 Golden Slipper winner CAPITALIST, EPAULETTE, RUSSIAN REVOULTION, SHOOTING TO WIN, SEPOY, EPAULETTE, HOT SNITZEL, FORENSICS, PEGGY JEAN, DENMAN, GUELPH, EARTHQUAKE, HELMET, SKILLED, PURPLE, MENTAL, COMPLACENT, & BENFICA.
A lot of yearlings have ‘hidden’ talents and tend to grow on you after multiple inspections, but this bloke really caught our eye the moment we saw him.
He just has so much presence about him… conformation is spot on, plus he’s big, strong and moves like a panther. We just had to have him… plus, it helps that he was bred by the same breeder (Gilgai) that produced BLACK CAVIAR, ALL TOO HARD, THE QUARTERBACK, LUCKY BUBBLES and JAMEKA (all outstanding Group 1 winners)!
Another obvious attraction is that he’s by EPAULETTE, whose oldest runners are just 3YOs but include a Champion 2YO and several stakes winners, including Triple Crown’s very own MILITARY ZONE who will shortly be welcoming this colt as his stablemate.
As for the ‘family’… well, his dam is by TESTA ROSSA whose daughters have produced nearly 300 winners (30 stakes horses) while close relations include exciting 3YO BUBBLES’N’TROUBLES, a Champion Miler in AROD, an American Derby winner in DARK ISLANDER and, given that this is a versatile and high-class family, the Melbourne Cup winner and highly successful sire, AT TALAQ!
With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to an absolute flyer with half a dozen stakes winners, including Champion South African 2YO and Group 1 winner, SOQRAT, plus Group winning 2YOs MERYL and KHULAASA, the Triple Crown raced, MILITARY ZONE and February stakes winners COSSETOT and ROCK DOVE … not to mention several stakes horses in the northern hemisphere.
A three-quarter brother to HELMET and brilliant winner of the Group 1 Golden Rose, EPAULETTE was a stunning colt, from a golden era of Australian juveniles. His run to the Golden Slipper included victory in the valuable Black Opal Stakes before he claimed Group 1 victory as a three-year-old in the prestigious Golden Rose. A further Group 1 success followed in the Doomben 10,000, in a race where he defeated eight Group 1 winners as a three-year-old, including YOUR SONG and BUFFERING.
A consistent performer, EPAULETTE finished a neck runner-up behind PIERRO in the Group 2 Todman Stakes and placed behind ALL TOO HARD in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas over a mile. As a three-year- old he was runner-up to BLACK CAVIAR in the TJ Smith Stakes.
The best-performing son of Champion Sire COMMANDS (sire most recently of 2019 Group 1 CF Orr Stakes winner MANUEL), he showed a tremendous aptitude for racing and a tough resilience. From his first 14 starts he finished in the top three on nine occasions to earn $1.7 million in prizemoney during his career.
To match his exploits on the track, EPAULETTE has a stellar pedigree behind him, being the three-quarter brother to champion 2YO HELMET, and Group 2-winning filly PEARLS, while he is a half-brother to Group 1 winner and sire BULLBARS.
EPAULETTE’s ability, temperament and pedigree dictate that he is set to be a superstar as a sire, and his yearlings have been in high demand at the sales.
Peter Snowden engineered EPAULETTE’s superb racing career, and there is no better trainer to now look after his progeny!
A family which packs a very potent genetic make-up.
This colt is the 2nd foal of TESTA ROSSA mare, RIVERINA RED, who was placed at Flemington as a 2YO.
RIVERINA RED, meanwhile, is a ½ sister to BUBBLES’N’TROUBLES, who won convincingly at Warwick Farm as a 2YO before running a long neck third in the Listed Reginal Allen Stakes at Randwick last October. Another ½ sibling is the stakes placed FOUR FLOORS, who also competed in a Derby, while yet another is the 5-time winner RIVERINA’S GIRL, who ran a stakes fourth at Flemington on debut as a 2YO. Bit of variety there!
RIVERINA RED is also out of a multiple winning ½ sister to multiple Group winner and sire FAR LANE, and to the dams of Champion UK Miler, AROD, US Group 2 Derby winner DARK ISLANDER and stakes winner MUTATE, while a close relation is the Melbourne Cup winner and highly successful sire AT TALAQ.
It’s important to note as well the success of TESTA ROSSA as a broodmare sire: his daughters have produced nearly 300 winners and 30 stakes horses, working particularly well with DANEHILL-line stallions who have sired the likes of Peter & Paul Snowden’s recent Group 2 winning 2YO ANAHEED, stakes winning 2YO QIJI PHOENIX and Magic Millions 2YO Classic winner LE CHEF. Not to mention, TESTA ROSSA broodmares have also produced the likes of GLOBAL GLAMOUR, MARKY MARK, DISPOSITION, SNIPPETS LAND etc.
Prizemoney opportunities like never before. . .
Please note that this outstanding filly is eligible and suited to target the following races:
- $8,000,000 INGLIS race series (already nominated)
- $3,500,000 Golden Slipper (already nominated)
- $2,000,000 Inglis Millennium (already nominated)
- $1,000,000 Golden Rose (already nominated)
In 2017/18, there was $733,445,379 distributed in prizemoney throughout Australia with stakes increasing by 92% in the last 10 years: the highest of any racing nation in the world. There are also 8 x 2YO races in Australia worth $1 million or greater, whilst the phenomenal $13m The Everest is the pinnacle for the older horses.
The colt is also BOBS (Breeder Owner Bonus Scheme), BOBS EXTRA & SUPER VOBIS eligible which means he will be running for millions of dollars in extra bonuses over and above any prizemoney. For example (using some standard race figures & BOBS):
- Metro Race (Saturday) – Prizemoney = $125,000 plus BOBS up to $40,000. Total on offer = $165,000!
- Metro Race (Midweek) – Prizemoney = $50,000 plus BOBS up to $20,000. Total on offer = $70,000!
- Provincial Race – Prizemoney = $35,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $45,000!
- Country Race – Prizemoney = $22,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $32,000!