- A highly exciting, forward looking filly who is by a Group 1 2YO producing sire from a family of precocious sprinter/milers!
- “This is an early running 2YO type. She is a classy, athletic type of filly who we will be aiming towards the Golden Slipper. I love these types of fillies.” – Michael Ward.
- With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to an exceptional start with his runners including South African Champion 2YO & Group 1 winner, SOQRAT, Australian stakes winners MERYL, KHULASSA, COSSETOT, ROCK DOVE and, of course, Triple Crown’s stakes winner & potential Group 1 horse, MILITARY ZONE. EPAULETTE has produced more Group race winners than any other Australian first-season sire – EVER! At the same stage of their careers, he is ahead of everyone including REDOUTE’S CHOICE, SNITZEL, I AM INVINCIBLE, FASTNET ROCK, ZOUSTAR, BRAZEN BEAU etc.
- ½ sister to 2YO city debut winner & stakes placed RAMPAGE from a ½ sister to Group 2 winner SONIC QUEST, and to dam of Group 2 winner CHASE THE RAINBOW and MS FUNOVITS (Group 2 winner at 2).
- Selected by Triple Crown’s Chris & Michael Ward. Selectors of REDZEL, HOT SNITZEL, PEGGY JEAN, DOTHRAKI, CHARLIE BOY, FLYING SNITZEL, CAVALRY ROSE, MOSS TRIP, MILITARY ZONE etc etc.
- To be trained by world renowned pair of Peter and Paul Snowden, trainers of Triple Crown’s 2017 ($10 million) and 2018 ($13 million) The Everest winner REDZEL, 2016 Golden Slipper winner CAPITALIST, EPAULETTE, RUSSIAN REVOULTION, SHOOTING TO WIN, SEPOY, EPAULETTE, HOT SNITZEL, FORENSICS, PEGGY JEAN, DENMAN, GUELPH, EARTHQUAKE, HELMET, SKILLED, PURPLE, MENTAL, COMPLACENT, & BENFICA.
This EPAULETTE filly was always going to be a ‘must see’ for us … after all, it was Three Bridges Farm which sold Triple Crown our own Epaulette stakes winner in MILITARY ZONE!
So, how much better was it when we eventually laid eyes on the filly, only to realise she is such a classy, athletic type. Importantly, she looks like she’ll run early and we’ll definitely be aiming her towards the $3,500,000 Golden Slipper.
Aside from MILITARY ZONE, there is so much to like about EPAULETTE and, while his oldest runners are just 3YOs, among them are South Africa’s 2017/18 Champion 2YO & Group 1 winner SOQRAT. And let’s face it, there are no ‘hotter’ stallions at the moment than EPAULETTE given he has produced more Group race winners than any other Australian first-season sire – EVER.
As for the family … wow! Quite apart from numerous high-class Group winning sprinter/milers and a powerful 3 x 3 to breeding immortal DANEHILL, this filly is from a mare by DANZERO (yes, a Golden Slipper winner!).
The filly is also a ½ sister to RAMPAGE, who won on debut – as a 2YO – at Moonee Valley before his stakes placed third behind subsequent Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes winner EXTREME CHOICE at his next start.
What’s more, the filly’s mum is a ½ sister to the dam of Group 2 winning 2YO MS FUNOVITS and her granddam LODORE MAGIC was a joint champion 2YO in New Zealand!
No wonder we believe she’ll make an outstanding 2YO!
With his oldest Australian progeny just 3YOs, EPAULETTE is off to an absolute flyer with half a dozen stakes winners, including Champion South African 2YO and Group 1 winner, SOQRAT, plus Group winning 2YOs MERYL and KHULAASA, the Triple Crown raced, MILITARY ZONE and February stakes winners COSSETOT and ROCK DOVE … not to mention several stakes horses in the northern hemisphere.
A three-quarter brother to HELMET and brilliant winner of the Group 1 Golden Rose, EPAULETTE was a stunning colt, from a golden era of Australian juveniles. His run to the Golden Slipper included victory in the valuable Black Opal Stakes before he claimed Group 1 victory as a three-year-old in the prestigious Golden Rose. A further Group 1 success followed in the Doomben 10,000, in a race where he defeated eight Group 1 winners as a three-year-old, including YOUR SONG and BUFFERING.
A consistent performer, EPAULETTE finished a neck runner-up behind PIERRO in the Group 2 Todman Stakes and placed behind ALL TOO HARD in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas over a mile. As a three-year- old he was runner-up to BLACK CAVIAR in the TJ Smith Stakes.
The best-performing son of Champion Sire COMMANDS (sire most recently of 2019 Group 1 CF Orr Stakes winner MANUEL), he showed a tremendous aptitude for racing and a tough resilience. From his first 14 starts he finished in the top three on nine occasions to earn $1.7 million in prizemoney during his career.
To match his exploits on the track, EPAULETTE has a stellar pedigree behind him, being the three-quarter brother to champion 2YO HELMET, and Group 2-winning filly PEARLS, while he is a half-brother to Group 1 winner and sire BULLBARS.
EPAULETTE’s ability, temperament and pedigree dictate that he is set to be a superstar as a sire, and his yearlings have been in high demand at the sales.
Peter Snowden engineered EPAULETTE’s superb racing career, and there is no better trainer to now look after his progeny!
SLEIGHT OF HAND
Gee, this is a good family … Group winning 2YOs, Group winning 3YOs … 3 x 3 to DANEHILL.
First off, this filly is a ½ sister to 3 winners including RAMPAGE, a 2YO winner at Moonee Valley on debut and a 3rd behind subsequent Group 1 Blue Diamond (AND Group 1 Moir Stakes) winner EXTREME CHOICE at her next start.
The filly’s dam SLEIGHT OF HAND was placed at 2 herself and is a ½ sister to Group 2 Crystal Mile winner SONIC QUEST (10 wins) and to the dam of Group 2 Bill Stutt winner, CHASE THE RAINBOW and Group 2 winning 2YO MS FUNOVITS.
What’s more, SLEIGHT OF HAND’s dam, LODORE MAGIC, was joint head of the 2YO Free Handicap in New Zealand (and Group 2 placed at 2 in Australia) and is, in turn, a ½ sister to Group winner MORGAN BAY (10 wins) and to stakes placed dam of US Group 2 winner BELMONT CAT.
On top of all that, SLEIGHT OF HAND is by DANZERO giving this filly a hugely successful 3 x 3 cross to breeding immortal DANEHILL.
Aside from DANZERO’s daughters already producing 60 stakes horses and well over 700 winners, DANZERO has worked particularly well with DANEHILL line stallions, including recent Group 1 winner DANZDANZDANCE. He is also the broodmare sire of other notable Group 1 winners such as EXOSPHERE and December Draw.
Prizemoney opportunities like never before. . .
Please note that this outstanding filly is eligible and suited to target the following races:
- $8,000,000 INGLIS race series (already nominated)
- $3,500,000 Golden Slipper (already nominated)
- $2,000,000 Inglis Millennium (already nominated)
- $1,000,000 Golden Rose (already nominated)
In 2017/18, there was $733,445,379 distributed in prizemoney throughout Australia with stakes increasing by 92% in the last 10 years: the highest of any racing nation in the world. There are also 8 x 2YO races in Australia worth $1 million or greater, whilst the phenomenal $13m The Everest is the pinnacle for the older horses.
The filly is also BOBS (Breeder Owner Bonus Scheme), and BOBS EXTRA eligible which means she will be running for millions of dollars in extra bonuses over and above any prizemoney. For example (using some standard race figures):
- Metro Race (Saturday) – Prizemoney = $125,000 plus BOBS up to $40,000. Total on offer = $165,000!
- Metro Race (Midweek) – Prizemoney = $50,000 plus BOBS up to $20,000. Total on offer = $70,000!
- Provincial Race – Prizemoney = $35,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $45,000!
- Country Race – Prizemoney = $22,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $32,000!