- Robust colt by crack first-season sire, EPAULETTE, a multiple Group 1 winner on the racetrack and three-quarter brother to Champion 2YO HELMET
- An ideal Guineas type of colt and genuine stallion prospect
- Sire an emphatic winner of the Group 1 Golden Rose and trained by Peter Snowden, the trainer of our colt
- Out of a multiple metropolitan winning mare by champion broodmare sire, ENCOSTA DE LAGO, damsire to INVADER, IMPENDING JAPONISME, DIVINE PROPHET, PEEPING, SOFIA ROSA, THE QUARTERBACK, PHIIPPI – VANILLA (HK), EMPRESS ROCK, NOT LISTENIN’TOME, SERTORIUS, HAPPY CLAPPER, IMPENDING, PHEIDON, BENETEAU, SEABURGE, ALLERGIC, BELIEVE YOURSELF, DEFCON, PROISIR, CATCH A FIRE etc
- From an incredible family that just produces sheer class with Group 1 winners from 1000m to 3200m including GENERAL NEDIYM, SACRED ELIXIR, BREW, HORLICKS, SOLO FLYER, TREMEC, NICCONI, NICONERO, FIUMICINO, MILITARY PLUME, ZIP ZIP ARAY etc
- Bred on the same DANEHILL / ENCOSTA DE LAGO cross as INVADER, JAPONISME, DIVINE PROPHET, PEEPING and MUSIR (all Group 1 winners)
- To be trained by world renowned 2016 Golden Slipper-winning trainers Peter and Paul Snowden
- Other highly credentialed Snowden trained runners include; CAPITALIST, REDZEL, EPAULETTE, RUSSIAN REVOULTION, SHOOTING TO WIN, SEPOY, PRIDE OF DUBAI, HOT SNITZEL, FORENSICS, PEGGY JEAN, DENMAN, GUELPH, EARTHQUAKE, HELMET, SKILLED, PURPLE, MENTAL, COMPLACENT, & BENFICA
A very exciting colt – the perfect Guineas type. . .
You’ll immediately notice the balanced and athletic physique of this colt. He stands out as a strong racer with a powerful rear, yet his scope and robust frame suggest he’ll continue to develop into a top class performer beyond his two-year-old season.
A blistering sprinter, EPAULETTE is a half-brother to a champion two-year-old in HELMET, giving this colt plenty of speedy ammunition. Moreover, the elite middle distance family deriving from the incredible six-time Group 1 winner HORLICKS, provides this colt with a formidable mix of speed and endurance. He presents as the ideal Guineas prospect.
The family is a source of sheer quality of the highest order. The family provides the class and the sire determines the progeny’s distance range. This family consistently produces Group 1 winning sprinters like GENERAL NEDIYM, NICCONI & NICONERO to Group 1 winning milers like Champion 2YO SACRED ELIXIR & MILITARY PLUME through to Group 1 winning stayers such as BREW, HORLICKS & FIUMICINO.
The DANEHILL / ENCOSTA DE LAGO cross is one of the most coveted in the industry, with multiple Group 1 winners JAPONISME, PEEPING, DIVINE PROPHET and MUSIR being bred on this cross and all are Group 1 winners.
Furthermore, the double dosage of Champion sire DANEHILL from a son and daughter of his has produced two-year-old Group 1 winning star GUELPH (also trained by Peter Snowden).
Our colt’s temperament has been excellent as he seems to take every task in his stride. EPAULETTE endured a tough two-year-old campaign which saw him race in the Golden Slipper, and this colt is showing every sign that he can handle a similar campaign.
Peter Snowden, the trainer who masterminded the career of EPAULETTE, is the appointed trainer of this colt with his son Paul, and there could be no one better to nurture him to a successful, Stakes-winning career on the racetrack.
A three-quarter brother to HELMET and brilliant winner of the Golden Rose. . .
EPAULETTE was a stunning colt, from a golden era of Australian juveniles. His run to the Golden Slipper included victory in the valuable Black Opal Stakes before he claimed Group 1 victory as a three-year-old in the prestigious Golden Rose.
A further Group 1 success followed in the Doomben 10,000, in a race where he defeated eight Group 1 winners as a three-year-old, including YOUR SONG and BUFFERING.
A consistent performer, EPAULETTE finished a neck runner-up behind PIERRO in the Group 2 Todman Stakes and placed behind ALL TOO HARD in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas over a mile. As a three-year-old he was runner-up to BLACK CAVIAR in the TJ Smith Stakes.
The best-performing son of Champion Sire COMMANDS, he showed a tremendous aptitude for racing and a tough resilience. From his first 14 starts he finished in the top three on nine occasions to earn $1.7 million in prizemoney during his career.
To match his exploits on the track, EPAULETTE has a stellar pedigree behind him, being the three-quarter brother to champion 2YO HELMET, and Group 2-winning filly PEARLS, while he is a half-brother to Group 1 winner and sire BULLBARS.
EPAULETTE’s ability, temperament and pedigree dictate that he is set to be a sterling success as a sire, and his first crop have been in high demand at the sales.
Peter Snowden engineered EPAULETTE’s superb racing career, and there is no better trainer to now look after his progeny.
We are delighted to be offering this son of EPAULETTE, and he is showing all the right signs to make a flying start on the racetrack.
From the incredible family of 17-time winner, HORLICKS
When within the family you have a winner of 17 races, earning over $4,000,000 in prizemoney, and is the dam of Melbourne Cup winner BREW and Group 2 winner BUBBLE, much can be expected.
This is what can be found within the family of CHULA VISTA, with multiple Group 1 winner HORLICKS a glimpse of the quality this family produces.
Among her 17 wins, HORLICKS was twice a winner of the Group 1 DB Draught Classic and also successful in the Group 1 Emirates Stakes, while victory in the world’s richest race at the time, the Japan Cup, came in a world-record time for 2400m, as she became one of the most celebrated horses of her time.
This family is incredibly versatile and it consistently produces racehorses to the very highest level. It is proven to produce Group 1 winning sprinters such as GENERAL NEDIYM, NICCONI & NICONERO, through to Group 1 winning milers like Champion 2YO ELIXIR & MILITARY PLUME right through to Group 1 winning stayers in BREW, HORLICKS & FIUMICINO.
Yet the family also boasts other magnificently talented runners such as SOLO FLYER, TREMEC, ZIP ZIP ARAY, INTERSTELLAR, BUBBLE, THE EMBASSY, ZIPANESE, LARRY’S NEVER LATE, LAEBEEL, FROTH, MY TUSKER etc.
CHULA VISTA is by the Champion Broodmare Sire from last season, ENCOSTA DE LAGO, who is damsire to Stakes winners JAPONISME, THE QUARTERBACK, DIVINE PROPHET, PEEPING and MUSIR.
This is a family from racing royalty that continues to produce top quality stakes-winning racehorses.
The match with EPAULETTE represents a significant upgrade in sire for this mare, and with this family behind her, our colt has every chance of chasing Stakes glory.
Prizemoney opportunities like never before. . .
Please note that this outstanding colt is eligible and suited to target the following races:
- $5,000,000 Inglis race series, including the Inglis Classic (already nominated)
- $3,500,000 Golden Slipper (already nominated)
- $1,000,000 Golden Rose (already nominated)
In September 2016, Racing New South Wales announced unprecedented increases in prizemoney, with $204 million on offer for the year to come.
He is also BOBS (Breeder Owner Bonus Scheme), and BOBS EXTRA eligible which means he will be running for millions of dollars in extra bonuses over and above any prizemoney. For example (using some standard race figures):
- Metro Race (Saturday) – Prizemoney = $100,000 plus BOBS up to $40,000. Total on offer = $140,000!
- Metro Race (Midweek) – Prizemoney = $50,000 plus BOBS up to $20,000. Total on offer = $70,000!
- Provincial Race – Prizemoney = $30,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $40,000!
- Country Race – Prizemoney = $20,000 plus BOBS up to $10,000. Total on offer = $30,000!